Friday 4 April 2014

Well Laid Plans - Job Training and What I've Been Up To

This is a follow up from my previous post Job Training in America - November 2013

It’s been a long time since I last wrote an update with work and Japan and everything. The last time would have been written at about the end of November 2013/beginning of December and now it’s April 2014!! As always things didn’t exactly turn out the way I had expected or planned.

I should probably start with what happened after my trip to Detroit last year. The meeting with the Japanese went well although I was heavily embarrassed by my lack of ability to explain things in Japanese. So I decided to take lessons as soon as I got back to the UK to learn/practice business Japanese. I started that in January after Wes came to the UK for Christmas and it went pretty well. They were private lessons which were expensive but I got what I paid for and found it useful considering I didn’t have much time (or money) for lessons. Together with the lessons I practiced Japanese in my free time with Memrise, listening to business Japanese courses and general study. I didn’t do as much Japanese as I’d hoped/planned though. (I had aimed to get N2 vocab revised by the end of January and that still hasn’t happened).

I’d previously said it would take 3-4 months before I was in Japan, well THAT didn’t happen. The plan was that I would go to Japan in January/February to begin the research process for setting up the office and the move (costs etc), although with another quarterly meeting with the Japanese. Not only was the meeting not in January or February but after a month of bugging them for a date they turned around and said “you organize it”. So that’s what I did and it’s the beginning of April and I’m in Japan in said meeting. Hazzar! This is why I’ve not moved here yet. I haven’t even been able to begin researching the costs because it’s taken so long to get this far. That and boss wants me to train myself more before I move. So it looks like at this rate I’ll be moving to Tokyo in August.

So what I’ve been doing for the last 4 months since Detroit is work from home translating and studying Japanese while learning the company projects and process. Besides work, when I realized I’d have plenty of time before moving to Japan, I took the opportunity to make a load of cosplay I’ve been meaning to do for a while and to go to a few cons and events I hadn’t been to in a long time. I also spent the time playing on a lot of the games I’d been meaning to play on but haven’t had time/been out of the country. It was good to actually have the free time to do those things, but I do think I much prefer an office environment so that I don’t have any distractions and have a clear distinction between work and play :/

I have ALSO started up another blog teaching people how to teach themselves Japanese! It's called J-Talk Online (as in Japanese Talk Online). So been spending a lot of time not studying myself to help other people study. It's called productive procrastination and I've really enjoyed helping others with their Japanese so I don't care too much that I've been neglecting my own Japanese.

I feel like I’m complaining a lot, but I’m mostly just taking everything one day at a time. It’s frustrating when things happen at the last minute or I don’t have much communication for the American company as what I’m supposed to be doing or what’s happening within the company. But it’s also really nice to have the freedom, trust and responsibility (and money because as of January I’ve been getting paid! Yay!) So this job is having its ups and downs, although these are mostly ups, and it’ll lead to a lot of new things I think. Unless that plan goes to pots as well!

1 comment:

  1. Productive procrastination! That cracked me up! It's wonderful that you take time to teach others Japanese, even if it takes some of it off your own study time. I hope everything goes well with the job training! I've come upon quite a few stories about how job trainings that can either make a new hire loyal and productive, or another one for the turn-over rolls. Good luck out there!

    Donna @ Epiphany Staffing Group

    ReplyDelete